Last person to post wins!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Last person to post wins!

Post by GiovannaSkye on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:52 am

I LOVE faeries, I would probably still read that despite the age range you're going for xD I'm currently writing a sort of sci-fi YA story, which has elements sort of similar to the Pretties trilogy by Scott Westerfeld, if you've read them. I haven't an awful lot yet, but I'm liking so far anyway Very Happy

GiovannaSkye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SakiHeart on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:09 am

GiovannaSkye wrote:I LOVE faeries, I would probably still read that despite the age range you're going for xD I'm currently writing a sort of sci-fi YA story, which has elements sort of similar to the Pretties trilogy by Scott Westerfeld, if you've read them. I haven't an awful lot yet, but I'm liking so far anyway Very Happy

Based on how it's going so far, my story would probably appeal to both age genres actually ^.^ It's been a lot of fun so far Very Happy I've come up with something that fits perfectly with the traditional folklore - it's perfect! I love learning about folklore or mythology and then tweaking it enough that it's my own unique story but not so much that it doesn't still feel authentic ^.^ Right now I'm working on the plot for my faerie story. I have the basic idea down but I need a strong conflict. I know I want an actual antagonist for this story (since my other story doesn't really have a main villain or bad guy) and I've decided who it'll be, but I need to figure out how to work him into the conflict. I'll have to brainstorm and see what I come up with Smile

I read the first two books in the Pretties trilogy Smile It's a fascinating concept! Writing is so much fun, I love it I love you I didn't use to (in fact before the sixth grade I would read huge chapter books and think that I would hate to have to actually write one XD) but in the sixth grade something just clicked, and now there's nothing I want to do more! What's your favorite part of the pre-writing phase? (World building, character profiling, plotting, researching, etc.) My favorite part is world building Very Happy I just love the feeling of creating my own unique culture, my own plants, my own animals and magical creatures - having free reign to make anything happen Smile I spent two years just world building for my high fantasy story ^.^ It's so much fun!
SakiHeart

View user profile http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9813915

Back to top Go down

Post by GiovannaSkye on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:30 am

SakiHeart wrote: Based on how it's going so far, my story would probably appeal to both age genres actually ^.^ It's been a lot of fun so far Very Happy I've come up with something that fits perfectly with the traditional folklore - it's perfect! I love learning about folklore or mythology and then tweaking it enough that it's my own unique story but not so much that it doesn't still feel authentic ^.^ Right now I'm working on the plot for my faerie story. I have the basic idea down but I need a strong conflict. I know I want an actual antagonist for this story (since my other story doesn't really have a main villain or bad guy) and I've decided who it'll be, but I need to figure out how to work him into the conflict. I'll have to brainstorm and see what I come up with Smile

I read the first two books in the Pretties trilogy Smile It's a fascinating concept! Writing is so much fun, I love it I love you I didn't use to (in fact before the sixth grade I would read huge chapter books and think that I would hate to have to actually write one XD) but in the sixth grade something just clicked, and now there's nothing I want to do more! What's your favorite part of the pre-writing phase? (World building, character profiling, plotting, researching, etc.) My favorite part is world building Very Happy I just love the feeling of creating my own unique culture, my own plants, my own animals and magical creatures - having free reign to make anything happen Smile I spent two years just world building for my high fantasy story ^.^ It's so much fun!

Isn't is? It's really thought-provoking. My story is similar in the "make everyone beautiful" style, but not to the same extent.
I like the character profiling atm. I'm so new to all this, I kinda going with the flow. I think I'm just gonna finish up writing the first chapter of two (It's set in ordinary day-to-day life, mainly it's just to introduce the main [human] characters), then I'll need to do some word building for the whole sci-fi bit, which I'm really looking forward to doing. I have some ideas, but I definitely need to develop them. I think I'm gonna get to writing now actually, I've had a mini writer's block these past few days, I think this conversation has lifted it Very Happy

GiovannaSkye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SakiHeart on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:46 am

GiovannaSkye wrote:Isn't is? It's really thought-provoking. My story is similar in the "make everyone beautiful" style, but not to the same extent.
I like the character profiling atm. I'm so new to all this, I kinda going with the flow. I think I'm just gonna finish up writing the first chapter of two (It's set in ordinary day-to-day life, mainly it's just to introduce the main [human] characters), then I'll need to do some word building for the whole sci-fi bit, which I'm really looking forward to doing. I have some ideas, but I definitely need to develop them. I think I'm gonna get to writing now actually, I've had a mini writer's block these past few days, I think this conversation has lifted it Very Happy

That's actually how I write nearly every story Very Happy I often start with absolutely nothing - no characters, no setting, no plot, no ideas in the slightest. I just sit down and start writing, and by the end of the first or second chapter I have the main characters figured out, ideas for my plot have started to form, and I have a pretty good idea of what I want the world to be like and the setting to be. Only once I reach that point do I start character profiling, world building, and so on. For my faerie story the only thing I had in mind before I started writing was that I wanted to bring a character back from the dead, but not in the usual sense. I didn't know anything else about the story - not what the rest of the story was going to be like, or how I was going to bring him back, or why he was going to come back, or what would happen in the process. One chapter later I've answered almost all of those questions and decided that it was going to be about faeries ^.^ After that I started working on the pre-writing stuff. That's my preferred method of writing Smile I like to let the story tell me what it wants to be about Wink I'm like that with my entire writing process actually - I like to let my writing have plenty of room to breathe. I use a seven point plot system, which means I map out seven important turning points in the story and don't come up with anything else. Some people like to plot out every single little step forward and even the smallest of twists and turns - I prefer to know only that I have to move the story towards the next of the seven points, and let whatever's going to happen happen in its own way and it's own time. The more you write the more you'll realize that books have minds of their own - you may really want something to turn out one way, but the story is telling you it has to be different. It's the same with your characters - you may really want this character to end up with that character (for example) but the characters keep wanting to be with someone different. It's as if the characters and the book itself are alive (and I'm not the only writer who will tell you so Wink ). One of the best pieces of writing advice I can give you is to listen to your story, because the story knows best. As much as you want character A to end up with character B, if the story says they need to be with character C they need to be with character C. Pay attention to what the story is telling you and it'll turn out even better Smile

So, what kind of writer do you think you are? The usual terms are a "pantser" or a "planner" - planners are the writers who plan out everything in detail and pantsers are the writers who prefer to let the story take the wheel and surprise them. I'm a bit of a planner, but mostly a pantser ^.^
SakiHeart

Back to top Go down

Post by SakiHeart on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:50 am

The term "pantser" (which I find to be completely hilarious Laughing ) comes from the idea that a pantser writer "flies by the seat of their pants" ^.^ (I didn't come up with this stuff by the way haha ^.^)
SakiHeart

Back to top Go down

Post by GiovannaSkye on Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:05 am

Well in this case, I cam up with the most basic idea a few months ago. Usually when this happens I just daydream the entire plot-then forget it completely. I decided to get his one on paper (or saved to my laptop Razz) before I lost it too.

Thanks so much- that really all fantastic advice, I felt a little lost as to what I was doing Smile

Ohh, I'm a pantser through and through, no question Very Happy

GiovannaSkye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SakiHeart on Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:29 am

GiovannaSkye wrote:Well in this case, I cam up with the most basic idea a few months ago, and it grew in my mind (a little.Usually when this happens I just daydream the entire plot-then forget it completely. I decided to get his one on paper (or saved to my laptop Razz) before I lost it too.
Thanks so much- that really all fantastic advice, I felt a little lost as to what I was doing Smile
Ohh, I'm a pantser through and through, no question Very Happy

No problem Smile If you have any other writing questions, please do send them my way! I'd be glad to help Very Happy I really like the pantser method personally - I love letting the story take charge and tell me what it wants to happen. I love being only a few steps ahead of my readers (and thus being surprised myself when I think of the twists and turns the story's taking or is going to take). I see the benefit of being a planner (and I do do a bit of planning myself), but I think I still prefer the pantser method overall ^.^

So, what's your favorite thing to read? Smile

I like to read middle grade fantasy (naturally ;D). Actually I almost never read any young adult. Young adult novels are generally relationship driven (romantic or otherwise). They're all about the people. Friendships, family, romance - that's what moves the story forward in young adult. They also tend to be more heavy and dark. Middle grade novels are generally plot and adventure driven. They're all about big events, turning points in the plot, and things that are happening around the main character. These events and plot turns are what move the story forward. They also tend to be very bright, vibrant, and lighthearted. The Harry Potter series is a great example of this difference. The first few books I would categorize as middle grade (and the series is typically found in the middle grade section in bookstores). As the series progresses it gets darker and darker. Heavier, darker topics are introduced (like the cruciatus curse and what happened to Neville's parents for example) and we get a closer look at death than we did in the first few novels. Relationships and people become more and more important to Harry as he grows up, and romance is introduced. By the end of the series I would categorize Harry Potter as young adult Smile

The feel of middle grade is what appeals to me most I love you There are a few YA books I liked, but I've never loved them like I love my middle grade favorites. The books I'm writing are difficult to categorize, but I think I have them more or less figured out. My high fantasy is everything I described for middle grade. It's lighthearted and adventurous, and the story is moved forward by events and plot turns more than relationships. I think that if it ever got published though, it would be put with the young adult books in a bookstore. The only reason for this is that I seem to enjoy writing at a higher reading level than most 7 to 12 year olds read at. My faerie story would probably be young adult as well. It had a fairly dark beginning, and it seems to have a darker feel overall. However, I plan to add some lighter elements as the story progresses. It's also more event and plot driven than most young adult, but it has more emphasis on relationships (or rather one very important, non-romantic relationship in particular) than most middle grade. Like my high fantasy, my faerie story is also turning out to have a higher reading level. So I guess overall you could say that my current writing projects are borderline, but most likely to end up in the young adult section.

(Sorry I'm writing so much XD This is why you shouldn't get me started on writing haha, I never shut up! ;D)
SakiHeart

Back to top Go down

Post by GiovannaSkye on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:26 am

SakiHeart wrote:
So, what's your favorite thing to read? Smile

I like to read middle grade fantasy (naturally ;D). Actually I almost never read any young adult. Young adult novels are generally relationship driven (romantic or otherwise). They're all about the people. Friendships, family, romance - that's what moves the story forward in young adult. They also tend to be more heavy and dark. Middle grade novels are generally plot and adventure driven. They're all about big events, turning points in the plot, and things that are happening around the main character. These events and plot turns are what move the story forward. They also tend to be very bright, vibrant, and lighthearted. The Harry Potter series is a great example of this difference. The first few books I would categorize as middle grade (and the series is typically found in the middle grade section in bookstores). As the series progresses it gets darker and darker. Heavier, darker topics are introduced (like the cruciatus curse and what happened to Neville's parents for example) and we get a closer look at death than we did in the first few novels. Relationships and people become more and more important to Harry as he grows up, and romance is introduced. By the end of the series I would categorize Harry Potter as young adult Smile

The feel of middle grade is what appeals to me most I love you There are a few YA books I liked, but I've never loved them like I love my middle grade favorites. The books I'm writing are difficult to categorize, but I think I have them more or less figured out. My high fantasy is everything I described for middle grade. It's lighthearted and adventurous, and the story is moved forward by events and plot turns more than relationships. I think that if it ever got published though, it would be put with the young adult books in a bookstore. The only reason for this is that I seem to enjoy writing at a higher reading level than most 7 to 12 year olds read at. My faerie story would probably be young adult as well. It had a fairly dark beginning, and it seems to have a darker feel overall. However, I plan to add some lighter elements as the story progresses. It's also more event and plot driven than most young adult, but it has more emphasis on relationships (or rather one very important, non-romantic relationship in particular) than most middle grade. Like my high fantasy, my faerie story is also turning out to have a higher reading level. So I guess overall you could say that my current writing projects are borderline, but most likely to end up in the young adult section.

(Sorry I'm writing so much XD This is why you shouldn't get me started on writing haha, I never shut up! ;D)

My reading taste is is quite broad. I do love vibrant, plot based stuff like Harry Potter. I like books that are based on mythical creatures/Dystopian, but only if they're good; I will really struggle to read a bad fantasy/dystopian novel. I guess that's why I haven't really read that many, only a few of the super popular ones e.g Harry Potter, The Mortal Instruments, The Hunger Games. Usually I'll read it if there is a film adaption in the pipeline, usually a good clue that the books are good, though its not always the case *cough* Twilight *cough*

But my true reading love is definitely YA fiction, especially the really thought-provoking novels. I have a real love and fascination for philosophy, and I love books that get you thinking about life, love, death etc., so I can form my own opinions on these matters. I think that's why my favourite author is John Green; all his books have messages and great thinking points. Before I began reading him, I wouldn't be able to tell you who my favourite author was. I never really paid attention to authors, just the stories. If the author happened to have another good book, then great! With John Green it was different. Of course, I'd seen the ranting and raving abut the excellence of his novels, so I had to see for myself. I read The Fault in our Stars first. It is now my all-time favourite book, I love it so much. I like how it talks of oblivion; what will happen to us when everyone and everything is gone? Then I had to read the rest of his novels, to see what else he had to say. His novels do have similar messages, but with every different plot, it's almost like it's looking at a different facet of the diamond, you get a different perspective.

Right, if you can't talk about writing or you don't shut up, then I can't talk about John Green xD There's still so much more I could say, but I'll stop myself Razz

Speaking of these two styles, the fantasy/dystopian and the philosophical, I would love to try and combine the two in my writing, much like Scott Westerfeld does in the Pretties trilogy, fast-paced actions hand-in-hand philosophical questions Smile

GiovannaSkye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SakiHeart on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:37 pm

GiovannaSkye wrote:My reading taste is is quite broad. I do love vibrant, plot based stuff like Harry Potter. I like books that are based on mythical creatures/Dystopian, but only if they're good; I will really struggle to read a bad fantasy/dystopian novel. I guess that's why I haven't really read that many, only a few of the super popular ones e.g Harry Potter, The Mortal Instruments, The Hunger Games. Usually I'll read it if there is a film adaption in the pipeline, usually a good clue that the books are good, though its not always the case *cough* Twilight *cough*

But my true reading love is definitely YA fiction, especially the really thought-provoking novels. I have a real love and fascination for philosophy, and I love books that get you thinking about life, love, death etc., so I can form my own opinions on these matters. I think that's why my favourite author is John Green; all his books have messages and great thinking points. Before I began reading him, I wouldn't be able to tell you who my favourite author was. I never really paid attention to authors, just the stories. If the author happened to have another good book, then great! With John Green it was different. Of course, I'd seen the ranting and raving abut the excellence of his novels, so I had to see for myself. I read The Fault in our Stars first. It is now my all-time favourite book, I love it so much. I like how it talks of oblivion; what will happen to us when everyone and everything is gone? Then I had to read the rest of his novels, to see what else he had to say. His novels do have similar messages, but with every different plot, it's almost like it's looking at a different facet of the diamond, you get a different perspective.

Right, if you can't talk about writing or you don't shut up, then I can't talk about John Green xD There's still so much more I could say, but I'll stop myself Razz

Speaking of these two styles, the fantasy/dystopian and the philosophical, I would love to try and combine the two in my writing, much like Scott Westerfeld does in the Pretties trilogy, fast-paced actions hand-in-hand philosophical questions Smile

I'm into philosophy too! Very Happy It's so fascinating, and the deep thinking that philosophers do is how I naturally think all the time! Books that make me really think, that make me look at the world in a new way; books inspire me to ask, "What if?" - those are the books I truly love. John Green's books sound fascinating! I have to ask though (and keep in mind that I don't know anything about him or his books), are there any mature topics or situations in his writing? For personal reasons I prefer to avoid media with sexual topics and extreme violence. If there isn't anything like that I'll definitely have to read some of his writing Smile

My favorite series is Harry Potter I love you I love so many things about it. When it comes down to it, there are some things that weren't perfect in the series (Voldemort is quite predictable, and Harry doesn't grow much or change as a character), but that almost makes me love it even more, because her writing and plotting were so fantastic that those small shortcomings weren't even visible. Her ability to weave all the books together like a puzzle that leads to the huge twist at the end is something I can only hope to come close to as a writer. It's no surprise to me that Harry Potter was a worldwide phenomenon, taking the world by storm Smile

I mostly just read fantasy and some scifi myself. I really should branch out more XD When I do read young adult, I tend to stay away from the big trends (right now the trends are dystopias and paranormal romances, and it's no mystery why - I didn't see many of either before Twilight and the Hunger Games made it big). The problem with the huge young adult trends is that a lot of young adult authors (at least out of the ones who jump on the bandwagon) have little or no originality. You read one dystopia or paranormal romance and you might as well have read them all (which is even more true among the paranormal romances than the dystopias). I LOVED the Hunger Games, didn't like Twilight much (I gave up on it in the middle of the third book), and really liked Paranormalcy by Kiersten White. Those are the only paranormal romances and dystopias since the Hunger Games and Twilight came out that I've read, and I don't plan on reading any others. There's really no need. Another problem with young adult is that young adult authors can use sex to sell. Middle grade novels are often better written because sex doesn't sell to the majority of 7 to 12 year olds - they have to rely on their writing ability alone. There's a reason so many middle grade novels have won awards.

There are occasions however when I find a dystopia or a paranormal romance in the young adult section whose cover or title catches my eye. Out of those, a rare few will spark my interest. That's how it was with Paranormalcy - it stood out among the Twilight copies, and I ended up loving it! No sex, dirty jokes, or other mature things in it either (though I've only read the first book in the trilogy) and the writing was excellent. I believe the Pretties trilogy came out before the dystopia craze really caught on, but I read it after the Hunger Games. That was another series that caught my eye and sparked my interest, and I really liked it. There are a lot of young adult authors who are made of something better - they have what it takes to shine brighter than all the other bandwagon novels, and they don't feel a need to follow the crowd. Personally I feel that if you want to make it as a young adult author (at least if you're writing the bandwagon genres), you have to be one of those authors. Regardless of whether you have mature topics in your book or not, you have to put all your focus into giving your story some really stellar writing. You have to bring your world to life and make your characters complex and interesting. You have to be as unique as you can be and dare to put ideas out there that no one has seen before, or people like me will walk right past your book without a second glance. Just from the little info that you've given me so far about what you're writing and what interests you, I think you have the kinds of ideas that will stand out, which is exactly what you want as a writer of any genre and any age group Smile Keep daring to be unique and you'll already be far ahead of the competition ;D

Adding deep philosophical questions will help your book a lot too - I'm so not interested in reading yet another book about a girl who's in love with a vampire and has to fight to keep him as her boyfriend. Been there done that. Books like the Pretties trilogy however are very interesting. Because there are countless ways to look at everything that exists around us, philosophical novels are always intriguing (and definitely less superfluous than yet another teenage vampire love story). I hope I'm not coming across as offensive - there really are a lot of good young adult novels out there Smile
SakiHeart

Back to top Go down

Post by GiovannaSkye on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:13 pm

SakiHeart wrote:
I'm into philosophy too! Very Happy It's so fascinating, and the deep thinking that philosophers do is how I naturally think all the time! Books that make me really think, that make me look at the world in a new way; books inspire me to ask, "What if?" - those are the books I truly love. John Green's books sound fascinating! I have to ask though (and keep in mind that I don't know anything about him or his books), are there any mature topics or situations in his writing? For personal reasons I prefer to avoid media with sexual topics and extreme violence. If there isn't anything like that I'll definitely have to read some of his writing Smile

My favorite series is Harry Potter I love you I love so many things about it. When it comes down to it, there are some things that weren't perfect in the series (Voldemort is quite predictable, and Harry doesn't grow much or change as a character), but that almost makes me love it even more, because her writing and plotting were so fantastic that those small shortcomings weren't even visible. Her ability to weave all the books together like a puzzle that leads to the huge twist at the end is something I can only hope to come close to as a writer. It's no surprise to me that Harry Potter was a worldwide phenomenon, taking the world by storm Smile

I mostly just read fantasy and some scifi myself. I really should branch out more XD When I do read young adult, I tend to stay away from the big trends (right now the trends are dystopias and paranormal romances, and it's no mystery why - I didn't see many of either before Twilight and the Hunger Games made it big). The problem with the huge young adult trends is that a lot of young adult authors (at least out of the ones who jump on the bandwagon) have little or no originality. You read one dystopia or paranormal romance and you might as well have read them all (which is even more true among the paranormal romances than the dystopias). I LOVED the Hunger Games, didn't like Twilight much (I gave up on it in the middle of the third book), and really liked Paranormalcy by Kiersten White. Those are the only paranormal romances and dystopias since the Hunger Games and Twilight came out that I've read, and I don't plan on reading any others. There's really no need. Another problem with young adult is that young adult authors can use sex to sell. Middle grade novels are often better written because sex doesn't sell to the majority of 7 to 12 year olds - they have to rely on their writing ability alone. There's a reason so many middle grade novels have won awards.

There are occasions however when I find a dystopia or a paranormal romance in the young adult section whose cover or title catches my eye. Out of those, a rare few will spark my interest. That's how it was with Paranormalcy - it stood out among the Twilight copies, and I ended up loving it! No sex, dirty jokes, or other mature things in it either (though I've only read the first book in the trilogy) and the writing was excellent. I believe the Pretties trilogy came out before the dystopia craze really caught on, but I read it after the Hunger Games. That was another series that caught my eye and sparked my interest, and I really liked it. There are a lot of young adult authors who are made of something better - they have what it takes to shine brighter than all the other bandwagon novels, and they don't feel a need to follow the crowd. Personally I feel that if you want to make it as a young adult author (at least if you're writing the bandwagon genres), you have to be one of those authors. Regardless of whether you have mature topics in your book or not, you have to put all your focus into giving your story some really stellar writing. You have to bring your world to life and make your characters complex and interesting. You have to be as unique as you can be and dare to put ideas out there that no one has seen before, or people like me will walk right past your book without a second glance. Just from the little info that you've given me so far about what you're writing and what interests you, I think you have the kinds of ideas that will stand out, which is exactly what you want as a writer of any genre and any age group Smile Keep daring to be unique and you'll already be far ahead of the competition ;D

Adding deep philosophical questions will help your book a lot too - I'm so not interested in reading yet another book about a girl who's in love with a vampire and has to fight to keep him as her boyfriend. Been there done that. Books like the Pretties trilogy however are very interesting. Because there are countless ways to look at everything that exists around us, philosophical novels are always intriguing (and definitely less superfluous than yet another teenage vampire love story). I hope I'm not coming across as offensive - there really are a lot of good young adult novels out there Smile

As far as I remember, there no violence in John Green's novels, but there is a little sex, but it's not too graphic, a part from a few parts in Looking for Alaska, but it's only about a page long at the most. If you were to ever read it, I could tell you which pages it was on if you wanted to skip over it, it's really not essential to the plot. There is sex in The Fault in our Stars too but it's in no way graphic at all, and again it's only for about a page, possibly less (I don't have a copy here right now or else I'd tell you). Sex is never a major theme or anything though, I think they'd be okay Smile

His books really are amazing though, The Fault in our Stars was named Amazon's top book of 2012, out of every book released last year, not just YA fiction! If you want to check them out, he also makes videos on YouTube with his brother, the channel is vlogbrothers, I would try and summaries what they do, but it's pretty impossible, they do a lot of stuff! I think they have a playlist of something like 20 videos that give you a pretty good perspective of what they do. I think there's a playlist of "Thoughts From Places" videos, make sure you watch them! They can be quite philosophical, they have similar messages to his novels, often he filmed on while writing a novel, and he sorta hints at what the message will be in said book Smile Their videos are usually pretty hilarious too, I think I've made the videos seem really heavy, trust me they're not, super entertaining Very Happy

I totally get that, there are 10000000000 generic books out there. There are only about four series of books that I'd class as dystopian on my book shelves, but I really enjoyed them all, they were all well written and had philosophical messages too. I don't think I have anything along the lines of 'Human girl falls for *insert fantasy character*, various cliche plots points ensue etc etc" anymore, I didn't really touch them after Twilight.

I do, however, have a few of the "Weird girl falls for impossibly cool guy, somehow she gets him in the end of the first book, but by the end of the series she is with best guy friend that loved her all along" type books, but I've had them for a long time. Looking back, I guess I was reading a little so advanced for my age group, pretty sure I was reading books written for 16 year old at the age of 10. My reading age was always very high, and the stuff aimed at my age group was always too dumbed down for me. There wasn't have as much fantasy stuff in book shops 5-6 years ago, so I was left with these. I do like the comedic elements of these books, bu the plot is completely predictable.

I would hate for my stories to be classed as generic or anything else like that. I think I start writing a story or two now, and just keep rewriting it until the craze has died down, I'll have a better story and a wider market. Again, thanks for the advice, I don't feel so lost anymore Very Happy

GiovannaSkye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SakiHeart on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:58 pm

GiovannaSkye wrote:As far as I remember, there no violence in John Green's novels, but there is a little sex, but it's not too graphic, a part from a few parts in Looking for Alaska, but it's only about a page long at the most. If you were to ever read it, I could tell you which pages it was on if you wanted to skip over it, it's really not essential to the plot. There is sex in The Fault in our Stars too but it's in no way graphic at all, and again it's only for about a page, possibly less (I don't have a copy here right now or else I'd tell you). Sex is never a major theme or anything though, I think they'd be okay Smile

Cool, I'll have to check them out sometime Smile It'll probably be a long while before I get around to it though - I have soooooo many unread books waiting on my bookshelf, and soooooo many books I'm in the process of saving up for too XD I'm addicted to books and it's not even funny Wink

GiovannaSkye wrote:Looking back, I guess I was reading a little so advanced for my age group, pretty sure I was reading books written for 16 year old at the age of 10. My reading age was always very high, and the stuff aimed at my age group was always too dumbed down for me.

I always had a really high reading level too! By the first grade (age 6 to 7) I was already reading middle grade chapter books ^.^ I never really "upgraded" from there though - I started reading middle grade novels then and even though I'm 20 years old now I'm still reading middle grade novels. I'm like that with a lot of things though - I prefer kids cartoons over teen or adult live action TV shows and I prefer kids movies (particularly the animated ones) over adult movies. I'm not quite sure why, but for some reason that's what most appeals to me Smile I get what you mean about books for your age group seeming dumbed down though. A lot of middle grade novels are at a reading level that even some adults would enjoy (Harry Potter, Princess Academy by Shannon Hale, etc.) but those are usually more aimed at the "transition" age (meaning 11 and 12 year olds getting ready to move on to young adult). I never really got into the middle grade novels that were more aimed at 7 to 9 year olds, even when I was 6 - those always felt dumbed down to me. The older middle grade books were exactly my thing though, and still are Smile

I have two contrasting likes though - I love bright, happy, adventurous children's media, and I also love deep, dark, creepy, definitely-not-for-little-kids stuff too ^.^ I'm not really into scary media (I don't do horror XD), but creepy on the other hand is definitely my thing (as long as it's not really gory that is). When I was little, my Grandma introduced me to Edgar Allan Poe. Most kids would probably have had nightmares after reading some of his stories, but I loved it! My favorite story back then was the Black Cat, and I still love that one Very Happy To this day I'm a huge fan of his work. I'm also a big Invader Zim fan (it may have aired on Nickelodeon, but I wouldn't let anyone under the age of 12 watch that show personally - it's so dark, creepy, gross, and disturbing!) and I love the anime D.Gray-man (which is technically classified as "horror" but isn't actually all that scary - it seems more creepy to me than scary). Why I like creepy media is a mystery to me - for some reason I just do ^.^

I love a lot of media that raises philosophical questions and explores interesting concepts as well. Like Doctor Who and Star Trek: Enterprise for example Very Happy My favorite episodes of Star Trek: Enterprise are the ones that totally blow your mind and make you rethink reality - the ones that take everything you thought you knew about what was happening in the episode and show you that you never really understood anything. My favorites that are like that are "Vanishing Point," "Doctor's Orders," and "Twilight." ("Doctor's Orders" is my favorite episode out of the whole show so far I love you I haven't seen season 4 yet though, so we'll see ^.^) Those were three episodes I definitely had to watch twice. The whole time I thought I understood what was going on and I really didn't. Totally blew my mind! Very Happy (If you like philosophical questions and you haven't seen it already, I definitely recommend Star Trek: Enterprise - though that's the only series of Star Trek I've seen so far.) Doctor Who explores so many fascinating ideas and constructs a very detailed idea of what time travel could be like, what it could do, and what the rules and laws would have to be. Both Doctor Who and Star Trek have EXCELLENT world building behind them too. Doctor Who has a world that is vibrant and imaginative; Star Trek has a world that is so full of complex cultures and languages that they feel like real places. Both are amazing Very Happy I don't read a ton of scifi, but I love scifi TV shows and movies Smile My favorite movie of all time is a scifi that feels like a fantasy - it's Avatar (the one with the Na'vi).

Sorry, I kind of went off topic there ^.^ Since I think I've talked about me for long enough now, what kinds of things are you into? Smile
SakiHeart

Back to top Go down

Post by GiovannaSkye on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:15 am

SakiHeart wrote:
GiovannaSkye wrote:As far as I remember, there no violence in John Green's novels, but there is a little sex, but it's not too graphic, a part from a few parts in Looking for Alaska, but it's only about a page long at the most. If you were to ever read it, I could tell you which pages it was on if you wanted to skip over it, it's really not essential to the plot. There is sex in The Fault in our Stars too but it's in no way graphic at all, and again it's only for about a page, possibly less (I don't have a copy here right now or else I'd tell you). Sex is never a major theme or anything though, I think they'd be okay Smile

Cool, I'll have to check them out sometime Smile It'll probably be a long while before I get around to it though - I have soooooo many unread books waiting on my bookshelf, and soooooo many books I'm in the process of saving up for too XD I'm addicted to books and it's not even funny Wink

GiovannaSkye wrote:Looking back, I guess I was reading a little so advanced for my age group, pretty sure I was reading books written for 16 year old at the age of 10. My reading age was always very high, and the stuff aimed at my age group was always too dumbed down for me.

I always had a really high reading level too! By the first grade (age 6 to 7) I was already reading middle grade chapter books ^.^ I never really "upgraded" from there though - I started reading middle grade novels then and even though I'm 20 years old now I'm still reading middle grade novels. I'm like that with a lot of things though - I prefer kids cartoons over teen or adult live action TV shows and I prefer kids movies (particularly the animated ones) over adult movies. I'm not quite sure why, but for some reason that's what most appeals to me Smile I get what you mean about books for your age group seeming dumbed down though. A lot of middle grade novels are at a reading level that even some adults would enjoy (Harry Potter, Princess Academy by Shannon Hale, etc.) but those are usually more aimed at the "transition" age (meaning 11 and 12 year olds getting ready to move on to young adult). I never really got into the middle grade novels that were more aimed at 7 to 9 year olds, even when I was 6 - those always felt dumbed down to me. The older middle grade books were exactly my thing though, and still are Smile

I have two contrasting likes though - I love bright, happy, adventurous children's media, and I also love deep, dark, creepy, definitely-not-for-little-kids stuff too ^.^ I'm not really into scary media (I don't do horror XD), but creepy on the other hand is definitely my thing (as long as it's not really gory that is). When I was little, my Grandma introduced me to Edgar Allan Poe. Most kids would probably have had nightmares after reading some of his stories, but I loved it! My favorite story back then was the Black Cat, and I still love that one Very Happy To this day I'm a huge fan of his work. I'm also a big Invader Zim fan (it may have aired on Nickelodeon, but I wouldn't let anyone under the age of 12 watch that show personally - it's so dark, creepy, gross, and disturbing!) and I love the anime D.Gray-man (which is technically classified as "horror" but isn't actually all that scary - it seems more creepy to me than scary). Why I like creepy media is a mystery to me - for some reason I just do ^.^

I love a lot of media that raises philosophical questions and explores interesting concepts as well. Like Doctor Who and Star Trek: Enterprise for example Very Happy My favorite episodes of Star Trek: Enterprise are the ones that totally blow your mind and make you rethink reality - the ones that take everything you thought you knew about what was happening in the episode and show you that you never really understood anything. My favorites that are like that are "Vanishing Point," "Doctor's Orders," and "Twilight." ("Doctor's Orders" is my favorite episode out of the whole show so far I love you I haven't seen season 4 yet though, so we'll see ^.^) Those were three episodes I definitely had to watch twice. The whole time I thought I understood what was going on and I really didn't. Totally blew my mind! Very Happy (If you like philosophical questions and you haven't seen it already, I definitely recommend Star Trek: Enterprise - though that's the only series of Star Trek I've seen so far.) Doctor Who explores so many fascinating ideas and constructs a very detailed idea of what time travel could be like, what it could do, and what the rules and laws would have to be. Both Doctor Who and Star Trek have EXCELLENT world building behind them too. Doctor Who has a world that is vibrant and imaginative; Star Trek has a world that is so full of complex cultures and languages that they feel like real places. Both are amazing Very Happy I don't read a ton of scifi, but I love scifi TV shows and movies Smile My favorite movie of all time is a scifi that feels like a fantasy - it's Avatar (the one with the Na'vi).

Sorry, I kind of went off topic there ^.^ Since I think I've talked about me for long enough now, what kinds of things are you into? Smile

I'm that same, I have a list stuck on my wall of the books I have to read- it currently has 29 books on it, and that's only the books I own, there are loads more that I want to buy, but I probably won't be able to for ages now. My next year in school is called Transition Year, it's the year after a pretty big exam before you start studying for an even BIGGER exam. It's pretty easy-going, there's a lot of project work and there are a LOT of trips involved, I already paid a deposit for a trip to London in October, I can't wait! And there is usually a trip at the end of the year to somewhere like France or Italy, so I'm gonna be pretty broke for the next year or two xD But I can't wait, I'm reaaally excited for London!!

I think by the time I was about 10, my reading age was about 16+ (there was a test, but it didn't measure after sixteen for my age group :L)
I would still read a lot books for the 7-12 age group, some of them are still my favourite books even

I like creepy stuff too! I love reading different conspiracy theories and things like that, I find them really interesting, even though I don't particularly believe them :L I haven't seen many horror movies at all, just one or two at friends birthday parties when I was younger, I do remember being the only person who wasn't under the duvet cover while watching a horror film at a sleepover when I was about 11, I had to give everyone else a running commentary of what was going on xD "The killer's at the door, yeah the guy in the mask!" lol

I've never really watched any Star Trek, surprised my dad never introduce me actually, he loves it, and we have pretty similar taste when it comes to things I'm getting into Doctor Who now. I used to watch the spin-off, the Sarah Jane Adventures, when I was younger (Yes, I do everything backwards xD). I know a lot about Doctor Who and that from Tumblr though, and my friend has a load of episodes recorded at her house, we're going to have a Doctor Who marathon someday I did see The Angels Take Manhattan there a few months ago, and despite it only being the first episode I ever seen, I cried my eyes out I was really good though, I think I might start from the beginning (Well, not the 'beginning' beginning, from 9 anyway, it would take a long time to watch 50 ear's worth of the show xD)
I really liked Avatar when I seen it in the cinema, but I've been apprehensive to watch it again, I wasn't sure if it would be as good at home without the 3D or the cinematic effects.

Haha, it's fine! I like hearing what people have to say Smile

Well, I love reading and writing, obviously I really like music too. I tried to learn the violin and the guitar before, but I was pretty hopeless at both xD I think I might try and teach myself the guitar over the summer, I prefer trying to figure things for myself rather than it being taught to me. I like to think I'm a good singer though. I wouldn't try and have a career in singing or anything, but I do enjoy it ^.^ I'm in a youth choir, and I really enjoy it, we do a lot of cool stuff. We performed live on radio last year, that was a pretty big highlight

Thinking about it now, I guess I have a lot of interests ^_^ Aside from the things I already mentioned, I love art, acting, and I danced a lot once upon a time. I'm also pretty academic, well, when I want to be. Like I said, I'm a big procrastinator, I barely ever study :L The only thing I can't do is sport, I can't catch/throw/kick etc Oh, but I did horse ride a little a few years ago. Like I said, a LOT of interests I like fashion, names (who would've guessed ) and baking, and jebus knows what else :L What are your interests, besides what you've mentioned?

GiovannaSkye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SakiHeart on Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:34 am

GiovannaSkye wrote:Well, I love reading and writing, obviously I really like music too. I tried to learn the violin and the guitar before, but I was pretty hopeless at both xD I think I might try and teach myself the guitar over the summer, I prefer trying to figure things for myself rather than it being taught to me. I like to think I'm a good singer though. I wouldn't try and have a career in singing or anything, but I do enjoy it ^.^ I'm in a youth choir, and I really enjoy it, we do a lot of cool stuff. We performed live on radio last year, that was a pretty big highlight

Thinking about it now, I guess I have a lot of interests ^_^ Aside from the things I already mentioned, I love art, acting, and I danced a lot once upon a time. I'm also pretty academic, well, when I want to be. Like I said, I'm a big procrastinator, I barely ever study :L The only thing I can't do is sport, I can't catch/throw/kick etc Oh, but I did horse ride a little a few years ago. Like I said, a LOT of interests I like fashion, names (who would've guessed ) and baking, and jebus knows what else :L What are your interests, besides reading/writing/names?

I'm into music too! I'm a flutist and a pianist (and I play a little tinwhistle as well, though I'm definitely not proficient). I also compose music on the piano Smile I want to try and publish some sheet music someday, but I don't want to do anything professional with my music (aside from maybe teaching piano lessons for a while to earn some extra money). I have an okay voice (you wouldn't hear me sing and kindly ask me to stop Wink ) but I'm in no way good enough to be a professional singer, which is fine with me ^.^

The only sport I like (and have a bit of a knack for, though I need a lot more practice) is golf. I would be into bowling, but I have an arthritis problem in one of the knuckles in my right hand so I have to bowl left handed XD (It's pretty hilarious to watch, since I can hardly do anything with my left hand ^.^) I'm not a very good actor or dancer, but I can appreciate both Smile I always wished I could draw, but alas that is definitely not one of my skills. Two of my sisters are really good artists though Very Happy One of them is drawing a manga, which is way awesome! (I'm very into manga and anime I love you )

Other than reading/writing/names/music/anime/cartoons, I'm very into language Very Happy I'm one of those weird people who actually LOVES grammar Wink I always hated English class in school because the grammar, reading, writing, and everything else we did was far too easy for me - I was bored to death in every English class I took. I study linguistics independently all the time, and for my high fantasy I've created two real languages. One of them is complete (with around 1,365 words including numbers, 909 words not including numbers - at least that's where I was last I counted, I've added even more words since then). The other is just getting started, but it's less important in terms of the story than my complete language. The one I'm just getting started on will have 544 symbols when I'm done (not including any symbols I make for prefixes, suffixes, and any other additions to words). I'm loosely basing it on Japanese and Chinese Smile I'm also very into culture, and I'd love to travel EVERYWHERE someday!

I have some more specific interests as well. I'm more than slightly obsessed with the Renaissance, Ancient Egypt, and Ireland Wink I love everything Irish - Irish culture, Irish music, Irish names, the Irish language, Irish mythology, everything! I also love tropical islands and the ocean I love you As I've said many times before, I was born in a desert, but my heart is in the tropics <3 I would love nothing more than to move to a beach house in Hawaii (though I'll have to become really rich before that would even be a possibility). Living on a house boat or some other sort of large ship would be even better! I'm an avid swimmer (though I don't swim competitively), and it's a dream of mine to learn to scuba dive so I can go dive at the Great Barrier Reef Very Happy That would be so cool! I've always felt at home in the water (and I loved swimming even when I was a toddler) so I think being able to go underwater and stay there would be amazing Smile Speaking of staying underwater, my favorite magical creatures of all time are mermaids <333 I can't begin to express how much I love them! If I could be anything at all, I would be a mermaid Smile After I'm done with the two stories I'm writing now I think I'm going to write a mermaid novel Very Happy There really aren't enough mermaid novels out there, I'd love to write some myself.

I'm very outdoorsy in general actually, I love being out in nature. Camping in the mountains is one of my favorite things to do Very Happy I love pretty much anything in nature though - camping, hiking, boating, exploring, you name it! I've been boating since I was two ^.^ I prefer traditional boats personally - kayaks, canoes, sail boats, anything without a motor I love you Kayaking is probably my favorite type of boating - I love it because you can get in a one-man kayak and fly along the water, going wherever you want to go. There's nothing better I love you I was lucky to be born into a family that loves camping and boating - it was the perfect fit for me ^.^

Are you very outdoorsy? Smile
SakiHeart

Back to top Go down

Post by SakiHeart on Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:50 am

GiovannaSkye wrote:I already paid a deposit for a trip to London in October, I can't wait! And there is usually a trip at the end of the year to somewhere like France or Italy, so I'm gonna be pretty broke for the next year or two xD But I can't wait, I'm reaaally excited for London!!

Oo cool! Very Happy

GiovannaSkye wrote:I like creepy stuff too! I love reading different conspiracy theories and things like that, I find them really interesting, even though I don't particularly believe them :L I haven't seen many horror movies at all, just one or two at friends birthday parties when I was younger, I do remember being the only person who wasn't under the duvet cover while watching a horror film at a sleepover when I was about 11, I had to give everyone else a running commentary of what was going on xD "The killer's at the door, yeah the guy in the mask!" lol

I've never really watched any Star Trek, surprised my dad never introduce me actually, he loves it, and we have pretty similar taste when it comes to things I'm getting into Doctor Who now. I used to watch the spin-off, the Sarah Jane Adventures, when I was younger (Yes, I do everything backwards xD). I know a lot about Doctor Who and that from Tumblr though, and my friend has a load of episodes recorded at her house, we're going to have a Doctor Who marathon someday I did see The Angels Take Manhattan there a few months ago, and despite it only being the first episode I ever seen, I cried my eyes out I was really good though, I think I might start from the beginning (Well, not the 'beginning' beginning, from 9 anyway, it would take a long time to watch 50 ear's worth of the show xD)
I really liked Avatar when I seen it in the cinema, but I've been apprehensive to watch it again, I wasn't sure if it would be as good at home without the 3D or the cinematic effects.

If you end up liking Doctor Who (which I LOVE <3) there's a fairly good chance that you'd like Star Trek: Enterprise too Smile I believe it's the most recent Star Trek series, but it's supposed to be a prequel to the other series (you can start with Enterprise though, that's where I started with Star Trek and I wasn't confused at all). It's a really good show Smile My favorite episodes of Doctor Who are the ones you shouldn't watch late at night when you're alone (which I accidentally did both times XD). One of them is a two part starting with the episode "The Empty Child." I watched that one around midnight when my roommates were all asleep - BAD IDEA. I literally jumped into bed after that because I kept imagining hands reaching out from under the bed to grab me and make me empty O__O The other one is also a two part starting with the episode "Silence in the Library." I watched that one around midnight too XD Totally freaked me out! (Keep in mind though that I'm quite the scaredy cat, so it might not scare you too badly.) The good thing about Doctor Who though is that in all except one instance, even the scary episodes have a good resolution. They're scary till the finish, and then they aren't scary anymore. One that freaked me out more than any other episode of Doctor Who was "The Waters of Mars." (It's one of the specials.) SO CREEPY! And that was the one where the ending wasn't happy. It's still worth watching though Very Happy

The Angels Take Manhattan was a good episode, and very sad too (even though I don't like Amy at all). Most people are totally freaked out by the Weeping Angels, but I'm really not bothered by them. They seem more interesting to me than scary ^.^ I really need to see the rest of season 7! Seasons 1-6 are on Netflix, and I have part one of seasons 7 on DVD, but I have no way of watching the new episodes until they either get put on Netflix (which takes forever) or I buy the next DVD. I want to know what happens next! I'm going crazy over here XD

Anywho, naturally I think Avatar is awesome with or without the 3D and cinematic effects Wink but it probably depends on what appeals to you personally. The thing I love best about Avatar is how complete the world is - it really feels like a real place with a real culture and real history. It sounds weird to say it, but actually Avatar is what set me on the path that led me to my career choice - being an author and a linguist Very Happy I loved what the language they created added to the movie, and I wanted that in my own books. I thought that if they could create a language, why couldn't I? I've made 5 or 6 languages since then, and little by little they improved until I now have one complete, accurate, realistic language of my own. In the process of making languages, I discovered that I loved grammar and language in general Very Happy Now I want to be a linguist - and it all started with Avatar Wink It also inspired me to research culture more thoroughly and world build in more detail - I came out of that movie wanting my world to be that real. I wanted my books to have a world so vivid and tangible you could taste it, and I've done everything I can since then to make that happen. So by setting me on the path that it did, Avatar has helped me in a lot of ways ^.^
SakiHeart

Back to top Go down

Post by GiovannaSkye on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:21 am

SakiHeart wrote: I'm into music too! I'm a flutist and a pianist (and I play a little tinwhistle as well, though I'm definitely not proficient). I also compose music on the piano Smile I want to try and publish some sheet music someday, but I don't want to do anything professional with my music (aside from maybe teaching piano lessons for a while to earn some extra money). I have an okay voice (you wouldn't hear me sing and kindly ask me to stop Wink ) but I'm in no way good enough to be a professional singer, which is fine with me ^.^

The only sport I like (and have a bit of a knack for, though I need a lot more practice) is golf. I would be into bowling, but I have an arthritis problem in one of the knuckles in my right hand so I have to bowl left handed XD (It's pretty hilarious to watch, since I can hardly do anything with my left hand ^.^) I'm not a very good actor or dancer, but I can appreciate both Smile I always wished I could draw, but alas that is definitely not one of my skills. Two of my sisters are really good artists though Very Happy One of them is drawing a manga, which is way awesome! (I'm very into manga and anime I love you )

Other than reading/writing/names/music/anime/cartoons, I'm very into language Very Happy I'm one of those weird people who actually LOVES grammar Wink I always hated English class in school because the grammar, reading, writing, and everything else we did was far too easy for me - I was bored to death in every English class I took. I study linguistics independently all the time, and for my high fantasy I've created two real languages. One of them is complete (with around 1,365 words including numbers, 909 words not including numbers - at least that's where I was last I counted, I've added even more words since then). The other is just getting started, but it's less important in terms of the story than my complete language. The one I'm just getting started on will have 544 symbols when I'm done (not including any symbols I make for prefixes, suffixes, and any other additions to words). I'm loosely basing it on Japanese and Chinese Smile I'm also very into culture, and I'd love to travel EVERYWHERE someday!

I have some more specific interests as well. I'm more than slightly obsessed with the Renaissance, Ancient Egypt, and Ireland Wink I love everything Irish - Irish culture, Irish music, Irish names, the Irish language, Irish mythology, everything! I also love tropical islands and the ocean I love you As I've said many times before, I was born in a desert, but my heart is in the tropics <3 I would love nothing more than to move to a beach house in Hawaii (though I'll have to become really rich before that would even be a possibility). Living on a house boat or some other sort of large ship would be even better! I'm an avid swimmer (though I don't swim competitively), and it's a dream of mine to learn to scuba dive so I can go dive at the Great Barrier Reef Very Happy That would be so cool! I've always felt at home in the water (and I loved swimming even when I was a toddler) so I think being able to go underwater and stay there would be amazing Smile Speaking of staying underwater, my favorite magical creatures of all time are mermaids <333 I can't begin to express how much I love them! If I could be anything at all, I would be a mermaid Smile After I'm done with the two stories I'm writing now I think I'm going to write a mermaid novel Very Happy There really aren't enough mermaid novels out there, I'd love to write some myself.

I'm very outdoorsy in general actually, I love being out in nature. Camping in the mountains is one of my favorite things to do Very Happy I love pretty much anything in nature though - camping, hiking, boating, exploring, you name it! I've been boating since I was two ^.^ I prefer traditional boats personally - kayaks, canoes, sail boats, anything without a motor I love you Kayaking is probably my favorite type of boating - I love it because you can get in a one-man kayak and fly along the water, going wherever you want to go. There's nothing better I love you I was lucky to be born into a family that loves camping and boating - it was the perfect fit for me ^.^

Are you very outdoorsy? Smile

I would to be able to play the piano! I might be starting lessons next year though ^_^ And I LOVE the sound of the flute, it's one of my favourite instruments to listen to Smile

A lot of my family on my mum's side play golf Smile I was never interested/good at it though Razz

Languages were never my strong point, then again I don't have the best teacher in the world for French, and I had a horrible teacher for Irish a few years ago which kinda made me hate learning it, I'm slowly growing to love it again though ^_^ I would never be able to create a language, that is amazing!!!

I think half the reason I'm learning to love the Irish language again is that I am really proud of every other aspect of my culture. I love the mythology especially, and the names ^_^ Recently, I've been more and more inclined to use Irish names on my kids in the future, even though I do love the others I already have, of course I'm still a long way off making these decisions Razz
I love the sea too only if it was warmer here Sad I really hate being cold, and the water is always freezing here, which is a real shame as there are gorgeous beaches less than ten minutes from my house! On a day with no wind I can here the ocean from my front door!

Again, I'd a lot more outdoorsy if it wasn't always so cold! As stereotypical as it is, I do like walks on the beach :L I love climbing too, and exploring in general. The idea of being a potholer (cave explorer) really appeals to me, not there's really any sort of career in it :L

GiovannaSkye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SakiHeart on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:36 pm

GiovannaSkye wrote:And I LOVE the sound of the flute, it's one of my favourite instruments to listen to Smile
Me too! Very Happy I love flute music in general, but I'm especially fond of traditional Irish flute music I love you I grew up with Irish and Celtic music Smile My favorite traditional Irish musicians are Altan, Capercaillie, and Lunasa, and my favorite Celtic musicians are Enya and Celtic Woman (I like them together and I like most of the women separately as well). My favorite non-Irish flutist is Rhonda Larson Very Happy I have a signed CD from her! Her music is awesome because she plays all the instruments herself - she records herself playing each background instrument separately and then puts them all together to accompany her flute music Very Happy

GiovannaSkye wrote:A lot of my family on my mum's side play golf Smile I was never interested/good at it though Razz
Haha, ya I think golf is the kind of sport you either love or hate ^.^ My grandpa took me golfing a lot, which was a lot of fun. I like doing things with my grandpa since for most of my life he was the closest thing to a proper father I ever had (though I have my step-dad now too).

GiovannaSkye wrote:Languages were never my strong point, then again I don't have the best teacher in the world for French, and I had a horrible teacher for Irish a few years ago which kinda made me hate learning it, I'm slowly growing to love it again though ^_^ I would never be able to create a language, that is amazing!!!
Thanks! Very Happy I'm pretty proud of my languages ^.^ The language I invented that's complete took me two years XD It's so much work, but I absolutely love it! I want to go into descriptive linguistics, which focuses solely on phonetics, grammar, semantics, and so on. I love phonetics (trying to correctly pronounce sounds that aren't in English is something I do for fun ;D) and grammar fascinates me! I love looking at the psychological and cultural aspects of grammar. We don't think about it, but the language we grew up speaking helped shape our culture, ourselves, and even the way we view reality itself. For example, did you know that the Hopi language has only present tense vowels? They don't have any future or past tense vowels, and that changes how they view time all together. They don't view it as horizontal, one event progressing to the next. Instead they view time as vertical - as though all of history is happening at once, in the same instant. It's really hard to explain because it's so different from how I think of time based on my American English background, but it's really fascinating to try and comprehend Very Happy If I remember correctly the Hopi Native American tribe would perform rituals involving things like the creation of the earth for example. Because of how they view time, they weren't merely reenacting the creation of the earth - they believe that these rituals are literally creating the earth, because if all of time is happening at once, at the very moment when they are performing the rituals the earth is being created. It's so hard to wrap my head around, but I just love this sort of thing! Looking at different cultures and all the different ways people view even reality itself is something else I do for fun ^.^

GiovannaSkye wrote:I think half the reason I'm learning to love the Irish language again is that I am really proud of every other aspect of my culture. I love the mythology especially, and the names ^_^ Recently, I've been more and more inclined to use Irish names on my kids in the future, even though I do love the others I already have, of course I'm still a long way off making these decisions Razz
As far as I know, I don't have any Irish blood in me at all. (I'm mostly of German descent actually, which is very cool, though I do wish I was Irish Wink ) Your culture and the history of your country is so fascinating though! I love the language too, it's beautiful and interesting Very Happy The only reason I'm majoring in German instead of Irish is that Irish isn't offered at any college I know of around here (which saddens me greatly). Once I have a steady job I really want to save up for the Irish Rosetta Stone program. It only has 3 levels (the more widely used languages have 5), but it would totally be worth it if I could learn a little Irish! (I've used Rosetta Stone before through my high school and it helped me even more than going to class! It's a fantastic program Very Happy) I would love nothing more than to travel to Ireland someday and learn Irish there <333 That would be a dream come true!

GiovannaSkye wrote:I love the sea too only if it was warmer here Sad I really hate being cold, and the water is always freezing here, which is a real shame as there are gorgeous beaches less than ten minutes from my house! On a day with no wind I can here the ocean from my front door!

Again, I'd a lot more outdoorsy if it wasn't always so cold! As stereotypical as it is, I do like walks on the beach :L I love climbing too, and exploring in general. The idea of being a potholer (cave explorer) really appeals to me, not there's really any sort of career in it :L

Even living by the ocean where it's freezing would be amazing <3 Though I agree, it would be better if it was warmer ^.^ Still, all the pictures I've seen of the Irish coastline are gorgeous! I live in a desert, so a place that's that vividly green with a dark blue ocean beside it is especially beautiful to me I love you I think I would like climbing if I wasn't so scared of heights XD I'm getting better though! I used to be so scared of heights that I would burst into tears and want to come down as soon as I was six feet off the ground XD Now I've gotten as high as 20 feet off the ground before bursting into tears and wanting to come down ;D My brother's very into climbing though, and he's pretty good at it Very Happy Being a cave explorer would be awesome! I love exploring in general too. I just love learning, you know? I love that feeling you get when you learn something new - it's like opening a door you didn't know was there before and stepping into a whole new world of possibility Very Happy

So, besides being a potholer ;D what do you think you would want to do as a career? Smile (You may have told me this already, if you did I apologize. I have the worst memory for this sort of thing! XD)
SakiHeart

Back to top Go down

Post by xnutmegx56 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:28 am

I like apples Smile
xnutmegx56

View user profile http://listography.com/xnutmegx56

Back to top Go down

Post by GiovannaSkye on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:14 pm

SakiHeart wrote:Me too! Very Happy I love flute music in general, but I'm especially fond of traditional Irish flute music I love you I grew up with Irish and Celtic music Smile My favorite traditional Irish musicians are Altan, Capercaillie, and Lunasa, and my favorite Celtic musicians are Enya and Celtic Woman (I like them together and I like most of the women separately as well). My favorite non-Irish flutist is Rhonda Larson Very Happy I have a signed CD from her! Her music is awesome because she plays all the instruments herself - she records herself playing each background instrument separately and then puts them all together to accompany her flute music Very Happy

Altan and Enya are from around here! My dad is a sound engineer, and he's definitely worked for Altan, and possibly Enya too, but he definitely worked for Enya's sister Moya Smile Wow, that sounds really cool, I might check her out!

SakiHeart wrote:Haha, ya I think golf is the kind of sport you either love or hate ^.^ My grandpa took me golfing a lot, which was a lot of fun. I like doing things with my grandpa since for most of my life he was the closest thing to a proper father I ever had (though I have my step-dad now too).
Yeah, I get that xD My sister was interested in it a few years ago, but she hasn't played to a while Smile But my granddad and my auntie play regularly, and my uncle plays when he's at home Smile I never had the interest at all, but I was never really interested in sport at all Razz

Sakiheart wrote: Thanks! Very Happy I'm pretty proud of my languages ^.^ The language I invented that's complete took me two years XD It's so much work, but I absolutely love it! I want to go into descriptive linguistics, which focuses solely on phonetics, grammar, semantics, and so on. I love phonetics (trying to correctly pronounce sounds that aren't in English is something I do for fun ;D) and grammar fascinates me! I love looking at the psychological and cultural aspects of grammar. We don't think about it, but the language we grew up speaking helped shape our culture, ourselves, and even the way we view reality itself. For example, did you know that the Hopi language has only present tense vowels? They don't have any future or past tense vowels, and that changes how they view time all together. They don't view it as horizontal, one event progressing to the next. Instead they view time as vertical - as though all of history is happening at once, in the same instant. It's really hard to explain because it's so different from how I think of time based on my American English background, but it's really fascinating to try and comprehend Very Happy If I remember correctly the Hopi Native American tribe would perform rituals involving things like the creation of the earth for example. Because of how they view time, they weren't merely reenacting the creation of the earth - they believe that these rituals are literally creating the earth, because if all of time is happening at once, at the very moment when they are performing the rituals the earth is being created. It's so hard to wrap my head around, but I just love this sort of thing! Looking at different cultures and all the different ways people view even reality itself is something else I do for fun ^.^
Wow, that's hard to get you head around!! But it's really interesting, we're so used to our linear time pattern that we can barely fathom any other way! I love hearing about other cultures too Smile This reminds me, in the Malay culture, they recognise the liver as the organ of love, not the heart, so they would love you 'from the bottom of their liver'! It's weird to think, isn't it?

SakiHeart wrote:As far as I know, I don't have any Irish blood in me at all. (I'm mostly of German descent actually, which is very cool, though I do wish I was Irish Wink ) Your culture and the history of your country is so fascinating though! I love the language too, it's beautiful and interesting Very Happy The only reason I'm majoring in German instead of Irish is that Irish isn't offered at any college I know of around here (which saddens me greatly). Once I have a steady job I really want to save up for the Irish Rosetta Stone program. It only has 3 levels (the more widely used languages have 5), but it would totally be worth it if I could learn a little Irish! (I've used Rosetta Stone before through my high school and it helped me even more than going to class! It's a fantastic program Very Happy) I would love nothing more than to travel to Ireland someday and learn Irish there <333 That would be a dream come true!

I'm sure you have a little bit somewhere, there is something like 80 million around the world with irish blood! You have some of mine if you like xD I'm 100% Irish, completely! Haha, thanks on behalf of the country Razz Aw, that kinda sucks Sad I guess I had a similar situation, there are exams for my age group in French, Italian, Spanish and German, but my school only offers French, which I wouldn't have picked if I had a choice. But on the bright side, they might be bringing in Spanish next year! Very Happy
I've never used any of the Rosetta Stone programmes, but they do look good, I might invest in one someday Smile
Do try and come here someday, not to brag, but all in all it's a pretty cool place to be Very Happy

SakiHeart wrote: Even living by the ocean where it's freezing would be amazing <3 Though I agree, it would be better if it was warmer ^.^ Still, all the pictures I've seen of the Irish coastline are gorgeous! I live in a desert, so a place that's that vividly green with a dark blue ocean beside it is especially beautiful to me I think I would like climbing if I wasn't so scared of heights XD I'm getting better though! I used to be so scared of heights that I would burst into tears and want to come down as soon as I was six feet off the ground XD Now I've gotten as high as 20 feet off the ground before bursting into tears and wanting to come down ;D My brother's very into climbing though, and he's pretty good at it Being a cave explorer would be awesome! I love exploring in general too. I just love learning, you know? I love that feeling you get when you learn something new - it's like opening a door you didn't know was there before and stepping into a whole new world of possibility

So, besides being a potholer ;D what do you think you would want to do as a career? (You may have told me this already, if you did I apologize. I have the worst memory for this sort of thing! XD)

Hah, I barely even notice the beauty any more, I grew up surrounded by it! I'm glad, I've never had any major phobias like that, though I will sometimes over-think things create a mental block for myself, which is annoying.
I love learning, I know the feeling. I try to find out as much as I can about everything so I have a good idea about what I want to do once I leave school. Speaking of that, I'm not entirely sure yet as to what I want to do. A couple ideas I have include writer/journalist, actress, geologist or something in science Smile I still have a bit of time before I have to start making decisions. In Transition Year (the sort-of gap year I mentioned a few answers back), you get try out a lot of subjects and you do a lot of work experience so it's a good time to get your priorities sorted Very Happy I guess it's kinda pointless to ask what you want to do, I assume your pretty set being a linguist Smile What did you want to be when you were really young? I wanted to be an astronaut :L

GiovannaSkye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SakiHeart on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:58 am

Hi! Very Happy So sorry for the late reply! (Though you were the winner for quite some time ^.^)

GiovannaSkye wrote:Altan and Enya are from around here! My dad is a sound engineer, and he's definitely worked for Altan, and possibly Enya too, but he definitely worked for Enya's sister Moya Smile Wow, that sounds really cool, I might check her out!
No way! Very Happy That's so awesome!

GiovannaSkye wrote:Wow, that's hard to get you head around!! But it's really interesting, we're so used to our linear time pattern that we can barely fathom any other way! I love hearing about other cultures too Smile This reminds me, in the Malay culture, they recognise the liver as the organ of love, not the heart, so they would love you 'from the bottom of their liver'! It's weird to think, isn't it?
That's bizarre! It's fascinating though Very Happy I love trying to step outside my set way of thinking and grasp different cultures. It's really cool. I would LOVE to go to a different country and live there long enough that I get past the culture shock and life shock stage - that way I would truly understand the native culture. There's this program where you can go to different countries (I believe it's for 6 months) and teach little kids English - they want you to teach by immersion, so you don't have to know any of the native language. That would be a dream come true for me! Very Happy I would want to go to Thailand I think. The only problem is paying for it. I believe it costs about $2,500 in total to do the program, which is a lot. It pays for the plane ride, housing, food, language classes (so you can start learning the native language while you're there) and everything else though so it's not a bad deal considering. It would cost a lot more to go on your own I think. I'm determined to find a way to come up with the money - it would be so perfect if I could go!

GiovannaSkye wrote:I'm sure you have a little bit somewhere, there is something like 80 million around the world with irish blood! You have some of mine if you like xD I'm 100% Irish, completely! Haha, thanks on behalf of the country Razz Aw, that kinda sucks Sad I guess I had a similar situation, there are exams for my age group in French, Italian, Spanish and German, but my school only offers French, which I wouldn't have picked if I had a choice. But on the bright side, they might be bringing in Spanish next year! Very Happy
Do try and come here someday, not to brag, but all in all it's a pretty cool place to be Very Happy
Really? Awesome! *Totally going to go tell everyone I'm a tiny bit Irish now Wink * As far as I'm concerned being 100% Irish definitely gives you bragging rights ;D

GiovannaSkye wrote:I love learning, I know the feeling. I try to find out as much as I can about everything so I have a good idea about what I want to do once I leave school. Speaking of that, I'm not entirely sure yet as to what I want to do. A couple ideas I have include writer/journalist, actress, geologist or something in science Smile I still have a bit of time before I have to start making decisions. In Transition Year (the sort-of gap year I mentioned a few answers back), you get try out a lot of subjects and you do a lot of work experience so it's a good time to get your priorities sorted Very Happy I guess it's kinda pointless to ask what you want to do, I assume your pretty set being a linguist Smile What did you want to be when you were really young? I wanted to be an astronaut :L
Any of those ideas would be awesome! Very Happy It's nice being at that point when you still have time to decide what you want to do with your life and the options are endless Smile I am very set on being a linguist - I looked at linguistics classes in a few different colleges and all of them sound amazing! I love it Very Happy I didn't figure out that I wanted to be a linguist until a year or two ago though ^.^ I went to college knowing I wanted to be an author, but having no clue what I wanted to do in addition to that (since very few authors make enough to live on). Once I decided that I wanted to go into linguistics (in addition to writing books), it was really nice to finally have a plan for my future.

For most of my childhood I wanted to be a veterinarian. There's no way that's happening haha XD I still LOVE animals, but I can't handle blood and gore of any sort, and I fear that I'd pass out the first time I tried to give an animal a shot. I wouldn't mind working in a pet store or something similar until I finish school though ^.^ I can't think of a single animal I'm afraid of. There are animals I respect and understand the dangers of - poisonous snakes, bears, crocodiles, etc - but I don't have an animal phobia of any sort. I love reptiles, rodents, bats, anything really. Two pets I've wanted since I was little are a ball python and a rat ^.^ I like my chinchilla even better than a rat though Very Happy HE'S SO CUTE!!! I love you He's getting more and more used to me too. Hopefully I'll be able to hold him soon. Though it did say online that it can take a chinchilla up to six months to get used to a new owner XD

Are you much of an animal person? Smile
SakiHeart

Back to top Go down

Post by GiovannaSkye on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:52 am

SakiHeart wrote:That's bizarre! It's fascinating though Very Happy I love trying to step outside my set way of thinking and grasp different cultures. It's really cool. I would LOVE to go to a different country and live there long enough that I get past the culture shock and life shock stage - that way I would truly understand the native culture. There's this program where you can go to different countries (I believe it's for 6 months) and teach little kids English - they want you to teach by immersion, so you don't have to know any of the native language. That would be a dream come true for me! Very Happy I would want to go to Thailand I think. The only problem is paying for it. I believe it costs about $2,500 in total to do the program, which is a lot. It pays for the plane ride, housing, food, language classes (so you can start learning the native language while you're there) and everything else though so it's not a bad deal considering. It would cost a lot more to go on your own I think. I'm determined to find a way to come up with the money - it would be so perfect if I could go!
That sounds really cool! I'm sure the price is worth it, what a life experience that would be! I'm not sure I would do something like that for the whole language perspective, much I would really like to do some kind of volunteer work abroad, it's on my bucket list Very Happy

GiovannaSkye wrote: Really? Awesome! *Totally going to go tell everyone I'm a tiny bit Irish now Wink * As far as I'm concerned being 100% Irish definitely gives you bragging rights ;D
Hah, I am pretty proud to be honest Smile

GiovannaSkye wrote:Any of those ideas would be awesome! Very Happy It's nice being at that point when you still have time to decide what you want to do with your life and the options are endless Smile I am very set on being a linguist - I looked at linguistics classes in a few different colleges and all of them sound amazing! I love it Very Happy I didn't figure out that I wanted to be a linguist until a year or two ago though ^.^ I went to college knowing I wanted to be an author, but having no clue what I wanted to do in addition to that (since very few authors make enough to live on). Once I decided that I wanted to go into linguistics (in addition to writing books), it was really nice to finally have a plan for my future.

For most of my childhood I wanted to be a veterinarian. There's no way that's happening haha XD I still LOVE animals, but I can't handle blood and gore of any sort, and I fear that I'd pass out the first time I tried to give an animal a shot. I wouldn't mind working in a pet store or something similar until I finish school though ^.^ I can't think of a single animal I'm afraid of. There are animals I respect and understand the dangers of - poisonous snakes, bears, crocodiles, etc - but I don't have an animal phobia of any sort. I love reptiles, rodents, bats, anything really. Two pets I've wanted since I was little are a ball python and a rat ^.^ I like my chinchilla even better than a rat though Very Happy HE'S SO CUTE!!! I love you He's getting more and more used to me too. Hopefully I'll be able to hold him soon. Though it did say online that it can take a chinchilla up to six months to get used to a new owner XD

Are you much of an animal person? Smile

Hah, I guess I never looked at not knowing what I wanted to do in a positive way, all I could think lately was "oh god, I have to know quick so I can choose classes and work out college courses and OH MY GOD LIFE IS MOVING TOO FAST!". But I guess I still have loads of time Smile I think every kid dreams of being a vet at some stage, even very briefly Razz I think I did for a while, and I know a lot of people that thought about it too Smile I do love animals, but I wouldn't define myself as an animal person. There are definitely a few animals I'm not too fond of XD Although I do mind spiders or snakes, which most people don't like, but rats are a different story altogether! I remember seeing a rat once, it was the size of smallish dog,much bigger than a chihuahua anyway. I've been a bit repulsed ever since No I do love having pets, I' say I'm more of a dog person to a cat person, but I do like both. We only have one cat atm, and he doesn't like he very much :L I really want goldfish right now for some reason Very Happy

GiovannaSkye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2