What are your views on matching names for twins?

Go down

What are your views on matching names for twins?

Post by NinjaRobot on Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:31 pm

Or any multiples, really. Do you think twins' names should match in some way - that they should have the same initials, or mean the same thing, or be in the same category, or rhyme, or be from the same era, or have the same origin, or be the same length, or have the same ending, etc.? Conversely, do you believe that twins should never have matching names? Or do you not care either way?

Does your opinion of that change if we talk about regular siblings, as opposed to multiples? For those who love matching twin names - do you like all siblings' names to match, or do you reserve that only for siblings born together? How about those who dislike matching names - do you dislike them for all siblings, or do you not care as much if they're not multiples (perhaps it's less obvious, I don't know)?

And finally, for those who dislike matching names - do similarities in spelling or pronunciation have more of an impact on what you find too 'matchy', or are they about equal in that sense? For example, are similar-sounding names (Melody & Madeleine; Annabel & Isabella) more off-limits than names that are only spelt similarly (Ianto & Iona; Owen & Gwen), or vice versa? Or are they about the same level of off-limitedness (if that's even a word)?

I hope I worded that okay! Sometimes I say/ask things in really long and windy sentences, when I could have just done it in a few words. I'm actually glad I accidentally pressed the back button now (when I tried asking this before), because I feel like I worded my question better this time around. But anyway, I'm really looking forward to reading everyone's opinions about matching names! Particularly that last part about spellings vs. pronunciations.
NinjaRobot

View user profile http://rantingsoftheninjarobot.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What are your views on matching names for twins?

Post by kaysee712 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:07 pm

I personally don't like twins to start with the same letter if they are the same gender. I had 2 sets of twins with matching first letters that were in my class. There was Michael & Matthew (Mike & Matt) Way too similar in popularity and style and then start with the same letter and then even the names and nicknames are the same number of letters! And then Jay & Joel (Or as we called them both Jay-Joel because we literally couldn't tell them apart.)
Boy/Girl twins I'm fine with starting with the same letter for some reason, but still they can't be too similar. For example, Allaire and Alaric, both of which I love but could never use both in a sibset, twins or not. But then Nash and Norah I would totally use if I had B/G twins. They technically begin and end in the same letter but they don't rhyme and they aren't even the same number of syllables.

I also don't like rhyming names, seriously if you had a daughter named Hayden and then had a son would you name him Jayden? Umm no, but how come having twins seems to blow that little rule out the window, and it's "cute" just because they are twins. I got news, it's not cute.

Another thing that isn't "cute" is the backwards thing. For example, Noel and Leon, or Heaven and Nevaeh. Yuck. Give the kids some of their own letters at least.

Personally I feel that twins usually don't like to have similar names because they will already be sharing a lot. Clothes/Toys/Their Birthday/A Bedroom probably, etc. I just think you still should name your twins like they are just regular siblings, make sure they sound like siblings but aren't too similar. And if you want to add in some hidden connection, like both their middle names mean the same thing or something then fine. Or even the same middle initial wouldn't bother me. Being the same number of letters is also a nice way to connect the 2 names if you are set on doing so.

Last edited by kaysee712 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
kaysee712

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SakiHeart on Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:13 pm

I think it depends on how matchy we're talking here. If you're talking about naming twins something like Caspian and Aramis (literary theme) or Storm and Betony (nature theme) then I'd be okay with it. If you're talking about naming twins Isabelle and Bella, or Tyler and Tyra, then it's not such a good thing. I have a guilty pleasure love of SUPER matchy multiples sets, but on real people I don't think it's a good idea. Just because they're twins doesn't mean they're not their own person - they deserve their own names too.

If it's more along the lines of Caspian and Aramis I wouldn't care either way personally. I'd just go with whatever names I loved, and if they weren't related at all oh well ^.^

I tend to have the same opinion for regular siblings as well. It seems even more over-the-top when twins or multiples have super matchy names than when regular siblings do however. So I suppose I'd be even more careful to avoid it with multiples.

I think it's the spelling and the pronunciation combined that makes a name too matchy for me. Or maybe I just view them with the same level of importance. Ianto and Iona would be okay as a twinset for me because the sound different and though they're similar they still look different to me. Owen and Gwen both sound too close and are spelled too close for my taste. Melody and Madeleine is a bit too matchy for me because of the pronunciation. The quality of the names tends to play a part for me too, and since Melody and Madeleine have a very similar quality about them as well that makes them too matchy for me. Annabel and Isabella is more borderline. I'm really not sure if that one's too matchy for me or not XD

Smile
SakiHeart

View user profile http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9813915

Back to top Go down

Post by SakiHeart on Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:17 pm

kaysee712 wrote:I also don't like rhyming names, seriously if you had a daughter named Hayden and then had a son would you name him Jayden? Umm no, but how come having twins seems to blow that little rule out the window, and it's "cute" just because they are twins. I got news, it's not cute.
I agree. That's not cute, just cheesy.

kaysee712 wrote:Another thing that isn't "cute" is the backwards thing. For example, Noel and Leon, or Heaven and Nevaeh. Yuck. Give the kids some of their own letters at least.
I'm totally with you there!

kaysee712 wrote:Personally I feel that twins usually don't like to have similar names because they will already be sharing a lot. Clothes/Toys/Their Birthday/A Bedroom probably, etc. I just think you still should name your twins like they are just regular siblings, make sure they sound like siblings but aren't too similar. And if you want to add in some hidden connection, like both their middle names mean the same thing or something then fine. Or even the same middle initial wouldn't bother me. Being the same number of letters is also a nice way to connect the 2 names if you are set on doing so.
Exactly! I think this especially applies to identical twins - they're probably going to be dressed in the same clothes, sharing the same room, celebrating a birthday on the same day, getting mixed up because they look so alike, etc. They don't need to practically share a name on top of that.
SakiHeart

View user profile http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9813915

Back to top Go down

Post by xnutmegx56 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:16 am

It doesn't really matter to me whether or not my twin's names would be matchy. I think it's cute if they both start with the same initial or something like that, but I wouldn't go as extreme as them being off by only a letter or two. I feel like their names should go together so they flow well when saying "___ and ___" but it shouldn't get to the point when it's like they aren't really two individual people. I would want each one to have their own sense of who they are, but I wouldn't give them to completely different names like Ann and Xanthe.

I do like (as Kaysee712 said) when their middles are somehow connected. I think that's a really nice yet not overwhelming way of showing their relationship. I also think it sounds nice when they have the same number of syllables or something like that.

For regular siblings, I don't like their names to be too similar. For me, I don't mind if they all start with the same initial, but I like the styles to be somewhat similar. (See Ann and Xanthe.)
xnutmegx56

View user profile http://listography.com/xnutmegx56

Back to top Go down

Post by GiovannaSkye on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:02 am

I like subtle themes with names of twins, like same amount of letters or similar meanings, or opposite meanings! I do remember, back when my naming taste wasn't the best, toying around with the idea of G/G twins named Ebony and Ivory. Looking back now, there is a bit of a theme overload there (opposite meaning {black & white}, rhyming, same amount of letters, both vowels)! Two vowel names would be a god way to connect them I think.

Generally, I haven't encountered any horrendous twin sets, the ones in my school are Joeanne (no typo) and Fiona, Kerry and Allison, Jack and Owen and Jack and Thomas. I wouldn't mind all that much unless they were horrendously matchy. In some cases, I like the backwards thing, for example Aidan and Nadia, but Heaven and Nevaeh is a different kettle of fish. It doesn't seem half as obvious with Aidan and Nadia.
Smile

GiovannaSkye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chellemma on Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:46 am

I'm not really bothered either way. I don't think it's bad if names start with the same letter as long as they aren't ridiculously matchy e.g. I once heard twins called Leon and Levi which I think is too much, however something like Cassandra and Claire would not be bad in my opinion. If they were my favourite names I wouldn't mind that they started with the same letter.
However I think names that rhyme for twins are pretty awful!

chellemma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NinjaRobot on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:47 am

I agree! I'm not a fan of matching names at all. I especially hate rhyming names. Themed names are a bit too cutesy for me, but if two siblings have nature names (for example) and the rest don't, then it's a lot less noticeable, and could just be a coincidence. Many siblings sharing the same initial is also a bit too cheesy for me, but again, if there are only a couple among other separate initials, and if they make a different sound (Thomas, Theodore; August, Avery, etc.), then it's much less noticeable.

I think the main reason I hate using matching initials myself is because I have so many favourite names, and a lot of them don't have matching initials. So I'd feel weird giving a few of them the same initials. It seems a bit... lopsided to me. Like how when I draw random dots on a page, they have to be evenly-spaced random dots. I should try and get over that, so I can use both August and Astrid! Razz

But yes, personally, I dislike matching names no matter whether they're multiples or regular siblings.

I'm not sure about the similar spellings with different sounds though - but I think they could probably work. Ianto and Iona would definitely work - it's just the initial thing that's my issue with it. Gwen and Owen, on the other hand... They look insanely alike. They're not all jumbled like Ianto and Iona. Gwen and Eoin would probably be alright though.
NinjaRobot

View user profile http://rantingsoftheninjarobot.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down