Baby Names
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which name for this fantasy character? [PART TWO]

+2
Paraskevi
SakiHeart
6 posters

Go down

Which name for this fantasy character?  [PART TWO] Empty Which name for this fantasy character? [PART TWO]

Post by SakiHeart Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:15 pm

This is kind of long so I'm putting the actual questions (and the most important info) in bold Smile

So, I've done a ton of research on the fae (actually that's all I've done today – I spent an entire day on my laptop reading about faeries XD) and I've decided to tweak my characters a bit. Without going into all the details, I now have two changelings that need names instead of one main character XD I’ve decided to go with the names Iskander [ihs-KĂN-der] and Frey, but I’m not sure which name to assign which boy. (For Iskander I'd used the nickname Iska [IHS-kah] and Frey wouldn't have a nickname.)

~ Boy One: He’s the character I described before (down to earth, inquisitive, and stubborn). He tends to be the leader, and often has to keep Boy Two from doing anything stupid.
~ Boy Two: This character is daring, spontaneous, and fierce. He tends to be braver than Boy One and is the first to respond to a new situation.

They’re both faeries, both changelings, and both have winter-y magic. (Also, if you know about faerie folklore: Both boys are from the Winter Court, which is Unseelie, but they act more like Seelie faeries. Eventually I might move them to the Seelie courts, or possibly out of the faerie courts all together, but I haven't decided yet.) Which name do you think suits each character best?

Also, do you think the names fit in general? The story starts out in the Black Forest of Germany in the dead of winter, and I’m planning to move them even further north from there, so naturally I wanted the names to have a winter-y, northern feel to them. Iskander is Turkish, and Frey is a variant of Freyr (which is from Norse mythology). Good choices or no? WDYT?

Very Happy
SakiHeart
SakiHeart

http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9813915

Back to top Go down

Which name for this fantasy character?  [PART TWO] Empty Re: Which name for this fantasy character? [PART TWO]

Post by Paraskevi Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:00 pm

I would say Iksander for boy one and Frey for boy 2 Very Happy
I think that's perfect!
Paraskevi
Paraskevi

Back to top Go down

Which name for this fantasy character?  [PART TWO] Empty Re: Which name for this fantasy character? [PART TWO]

Post by GiovannaSkye Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:19 am

Iskander for boy 1 and Frey for boy 2. I love both these names btw!! If it makes a difference to your choice, the nickname Iska is almost identical to the Irish word for water, uisce (ISH-ka), thought that give you a little bit of inspiration if nothing else Smile

GiovannaSkye

Back to top Go down

Post by SakiHeart Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:33 am

GiovannaSkye wrote:If it makes a difference to your choice, the nickname Iska is almost identical to the Irish word for water, uisce (ISH-ka), thought that give you a little bit of inspiration if nothing else Smile

Really? COOL! Very Happy That actually fits really well with the story, and I didn't even do it on purpose! ^.^
SakiHeart
SakiHeart

Back to top Go down

Post by GiovannaSkye Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:50 am

SakiHeart wrote:
GiovannaSkye wrote:If it makes a difference to your choice, the nickname Iska is almost identical to the Irish word for water, uisce (ISH-ka), thought that give you a little bit of inspiration if nothing else Smile

Really? COOL! Very Happy That actually fits really well with the story, and I didn't even do it on purpose! ^.^

Hah, yup! Glad you be of any help Very Happy

GiovannaSkye

Back to top Go down

Post by xnutmegx56 Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:40 am

Iskander for Boy 1 and Frey for Boy 2 Smile
xnutmegx56
xnutmegx56

http://listography.com/xnutmegx56

Back to top Go down

Post by NinjaRobot Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:44 pm

I'm going to go opposite from everyone and say Frey for boy 1 and Iskander for boy 2. I stand by what I said before about Frey suiting a down-to-earth, inquisitive, and stubborn guy. And Iskander 'Iska' being more out-there, it works for someone who is spontaneous and daring. The shorter, more... brighter? nickname Iska also makes sense for someone who gets into all sorts of trouble and needs to be held back from doing anything stupid.
NinjaRobot
NinjaRobot

http://rantingsoftheninjarobot.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SakiHeart Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:55 pm

Thanks everyone, you've all be really helpful so far! Very Happy
SakiHeart
SakiHeart

Back to top Go down

Post by chellemma Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:08 am

I think they are very cool and I think they work well. I think boy 1 should be Frey and boy 2 should be Iskander.

chellemma

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down